Friday, August 26, 2016

Root Beer Float Cupcakes | How to

Hello Friends,


One of my summer bucket list items was to have a root beer float. This may seem silly but it has been YEARS since I have had one, and thus needed to rectify the situation. Then I got to thinking, I need a cupcake version of root beer float! That train of thought led to the following recipe.





Recipe:
           Ingredients for cake:
          - 1 mix of Betty Crocker Chocolate Cake Mix
          - 1 1/4 cup water
          - 1/2 cup vegetable oil
          - 4 egg whites
          - 1/4 cup sour cream
          - 2 teaspoons of root beer concentrate
          - 1/4 cup root beer topping or actual root beer

           Ingredients for icing:
          - 1 package cream cheese (softened)
          - 1 stick of butter (softened)
          - 4 to 5 cups of powdered sugar
          - 1 teaspoon of root beer concentrate
          - cherries to garnish

         Directions
          - Mix together cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, water, sour cream, root beer topping, and root beer concentrate until well blended.
          - Pour batter into lined cupcake tins and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-28 minutes. Mixture should produce 20 cupcakes if each one is filled 2/3 of the way full with batter.
          - To make the icing mix together the cream cheese, root beer extract, and butter. Once blended, start adding in powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time. I normally use between 4-5 cups, or half a bag. 
          - Once the cupcakes are cool you may begin icing them. I wanted the icing to look like a scoop of ice cream. To achieve this I used an ice cream scoop to scoop the icing on the cupcakes. I'm not sure if I like how it turned out, any thoughts? 
          - Finally, place a cherry on top to complete the root beer float look.

          Additional Comments
          - You may want to wait until serving to put the cherries on.
          - Since the icing has cream cheese in it, you should store in the fridge.

My brother and I also filmed a baking tutorial. This time he was a cowboy from the Wild Wild West, check it out:



Happy Baking,

Tilly

No comments:

Post a Comment