Friday, May 22, 2015

Chocolate Coffee Cupcakes

Hello friends,


Today I thought I'd share with you a new recipe I tried out. I'll admit, it was not one of my favorites, however, dad and mom really liked it. I had seen several coffee and cappuccino cupcake pictures on Pinterest and became inspired to make my own coffee cupcake. I thought I added way too much coffee into the cake batter, but mom said she could barely taste it. I am not a coffee drinker and they are, so I am assuming it is a taste that requires becoming accustomed too. This probably accounts for why the coffee taste was strong for me and faint to them. So coffee drinkers, you may want to add more coffee to the recipe, and other fellow non-coffee drinkers, be warned!!

Here is what the finished product looked like:



Recipe: 


          Ingredients
          - 1 box chocolate cake mix
          - 1 and 1/3 cups of powdered sugar 
          - 1 package of cream cheese (room temperature)
          - 1 stick of butter (room temperature)
          - 2 teaspoons of coffee extract
          - 1/8 a cup of coffee
          - Cocoa powder for topping (optional)

         Directions
          - Mix cake as directed on the box AND add the coffee into the mix before baking. Then bake the cake as directed on the box.
          - While cupcakes are in the oven, mix cream cheese, butter, and coffee extract until blended.
          - Mix in the powdered sugar about 1/3 a cup at a time.
          - When the cupcakes are done, let them cool for about 20 minutes. Then put your icing on them.
          - To finish, sprinkle cocoa powder over the cupcakes.

          Additional Comments
          - This recipe made 26 cupcakes and I had enough icing for 24 of them.
          - I added an extra egg to the cake mix. This made the cake more dense, which I thought was fitting for a coffee cupcake.
          - Like my Mint Chocolate Cupcakes, these cupcakes should be stored in a refrigerated area because they have cream cheese icing. 

Happy baking!

Tilly

No comments:

Post a Comment